Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Unforgettable Easter

Back in 1989 I was living in Redwood City when the Loma Prieta Earthquake hit San Francisco. I had no responsibility's back then other then me, myself and my job. It didn't seem to be to big of a deal. It was a story to tell. But, 20 years and 3 more kids later, things have changed. I live in Southern California now, about 10/15 minutes from Mexicali Mexico where the most recent earthquake hit on Easter Sunday.

This is an Easter I will never forget. This earthquake hit HARD. It didn't just shake the windows and rattle a few plates, it tossed the inside of my house around like a washing machine on a wash cycle. My youngest son and I got out of the house to safety, but my ole man, my 18 yr old son (who was in the shower) and his girlfriend were still in the house. I had so many thoughts screaming through my head. Is my daughter alright?! She was at the park with a friend and his grandma on an Easter Egg Hunt. Is Miguel and the kids going to make it out safely?! Please let them get out of the house before it comes crashing down on them! (as I'm typing this, we have yet, another aftershock)

I'm usually pretty thick skinned, but this recent earthquake really got to me. I'm now, (3 days later) getting back in my usual routine. I want my kids within yelling distance. As of this moment there have been 1350 aftershocks since the initial 7.2 earthquake, so you can see why I don't want them out of my sight. That's a lot of aftershocks and I've heard experts say it's possible for there to be an aftershock of 6.0 within a few days after the main quake. I'm not much for praying, but lets pray there won't be.


An update to this post. I was checking out the USGS website, they (USGS) updated their info to include a 6.6 magnitude earthquake within seconds of the initial quake on Easter just out of Ocotillo CA, which is just a few miles east of where I live. So it was 2 earthquakes within seconds of each other on the same fault line.

An update to my update: Now the USGS has omitted the 6.6 earthquake. I wish they would make up my mind! Hey ! USGS! Get your data straight before you post it will you!

2 comments:

  1. THIS is the reason you need to move North. That's all I'm sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya if an earthquake doesn't get me the heat sure will.

    ReplyDelete